Nature Happenings December
- Project FeederWatch continues, www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw
- Christmas Bird Count is this month, birds.audubon.org/christmas-bird-count
- Watch for Sharp-shinned and Cooper's Hawks feeding on birds in your backyard.
- Hibernating mammals have disappeared by now.
- Chipmunks, skunks, opossums and raccoons may still be active.
- Keep water open for the birds with a bird bath and heater.
- Great Horned Owls are pairing up this month – listen for their "who" calls.
- Decorate a tree for the birds. Pick a tree in the yard and decorate with edible ornaments for your feathered friends.
- Geminid Meteor Shower is mid-month.
Rhode Island Bird News
Be on the look out for some rare winter visitors. For the first time in a long time there are sightings of Evening Grosbeaks. These northern birds used to visit feeders in the 1970's but rarely come this far south in the winter anymore. There are also reports of Pine Siskins and Red Crossbills.